WORLD
Gaza's Health Ministry said the total number of Palestinians killed in Gaza since the start of the Israel-Hamas war has now passed 50,000 after Israel ended the ceasefire last week with a wave of strikes that killed hundreds.
Israeli strikes across the southern Gaza Strip killed at least 26 Palestinians overnight into Sunday, including a Hamas political leader and several women and children. Residents said tanks had advanced into an area of the southern city of Rafah as the military ordered it evacuated.
Gaza's Health Ministry said the total number of Palestinians killed in Gaza since the start of the Israel-Hamas war has now passed 50,000 after Israel ended the ceasefire last week with a wave of strikes that killed hundreds.
Israel has continued striking what it says are militant targets and has launched ground incursions in northern Gaza.
Late Saturday, Israel's Cabinet approved a proposal to set up a new directorate tasked with advancing the “voluntary departure" of Palestinians in line with US President Donald Trump's proposal to depopulate Gaza and rebuild it for others.
Palestinians say they do not want to leave their homeland, and rights groups have said the plan could amount to expulsion in violation of international law.
Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said the new body would be “subject to Israeli and international law” and coordinate "passage by land, sea and air to the destination countries”.
The military ordered people to leave Rafah's already heavily destroyed Tel al-Sultan neighbourhood on foot along a single route to Muwasi, a sprawling area of squalid tent camps.
Palestinian men, women and children could be seen walking along a dirt road and carrying their belongings in their arms, a recurring scene in a war that has forced most of Gaza's population to flee within the territory, often multiple times.
“It's displacement under fire,” said Mustafa Gaber, a local journalist who left Tel al-Sultan with his family. In a video call, he said hundreds of people were fleeing as tank and drone fire echoed nearby. “There are wounded people among us. The situation is very difficult,” he said.
Mohammed Abu Taha, another resident who fled, said many people were unable to evacuate because of the surprise incursion overnight. He also said his sister and her family were sheltering in a school in an area of Rafah surrounded by Israeli forces.
At least 2 families among those killed in Israeli strikes
Hamas said that Salah Bardawil, a member of its political bureau and the Palestinian parliament, was killed in a strike in Muwasi that also killed his wife. Bardawil was a well-known member of the group's political wing who gave media interviews over the years.
Hospitals in southern Gaza said they had received another 24 bodies from strikes overnight, including several women and children.
The European Hospital said five children and their parents were killed in a strike on the southern city of Khan Younis. Another family — two girls and their parents — were killed in a separate strike. The Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis said it received the bodies of two children and their parents who were killed in a strike on their home. Two other children are still under the rubble, according to the hospital.
Gaza's Health Ministry said a total of 50,021 Palestinians have been killed in the war and more than 113,000 have been wounded. The latest toll announced Sunday includes 673 people killed since Israel's surprise bombardment on Tuesday as well as 233 bodies that were recently identified, the ministry said.
The ministry does not distinguish between civilians and combatants in its records but has said women and children make up more than half the dead. Israel says it has killed around 20,000 fighters, without providing evidence.
The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service said Israeli forces were preventing its ambulances from responding to strikes in Rafah and that several of its medics had been wounded.
There was no immediate comment from the military, which says it only targets militants and tries to avoid harming civilians. Israel blames civilian deaths on Hamas because it operates in densely populated areas.
In a separate development, Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen, who are allied with Hamas, launched another missile at Israel overnight and into Sunday, setting off air raid sirens. The Israeli military said the projectile was intercepted, and there were no reports of casualties or damage.
The Houthis resumed their attacks on Israel, portraying them as an act of solidarity with the Palestinians, despite recent US strikes targeting the Yemeni rebels.
Ceasefire in tatters after Israeli strikes
The ceasefire that took hold in January paused 15 months of heavy fighting ignited by Hamas' October 7, 2023 attack into Israel.
Twenty-five Israeli hostages and the bodies of eight others were released in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners, Israeli forces pulled back to a buffer zone, allowing hundreds of thousands of people to return to what remains of their homes, and there was a surge in humanitarian aid.
The sides were supposed to begin negotiations in early February on the next phase of the truce, in which Hamas was to release the remaining 59 hostages — 35 of whom are believed to be dead — in exchange for more Palestinian prisoners, a lasting ceasefire and an Israeli withdrawal.
Those talks never began, and Israel backed out of the ceasefire agreement after Hamas refused Israeli and US-backed proposals to release more hostages ahead of any talks on a lasting truce.
Tens of thousands of Israelis returned to the streets late Saturday in the latest of several mass protests calling for a deal that returns the hostages.
Hamas-led militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took 251 hostage in the October 7 attack. Most of the captives have been released in ceasefire agreements or other deals, while Israeli forces rescued eight alive and recovered dozens of bodies.
The offensive has destroyed vast areas of Gaza and at its height had displaced around 90 per cent of the population. Israel sealed off the territory of 2 million Palestinians from food, fuel, medicine and other supplies earlier this month to pressure Hamas to change the ceasefire agreement.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by DNA staff and is published from AP/PTI)
IAF parajump instructor dies after parachute malfunctions during demo skydiving in Agra
Pregnant woman says Ola driver threatened to kill her unborn baby: 'Tere pet mein...'
MS Dhoni should join us in our commentary box after this game, he has lost cricket: Matthew Hayden
Born rich to self-made: Meet world’s youngest billionaires of 2025
Happy Ram Navami 2025: Best wishes, messages, images, greetings and quotes to share
Scarlett Johansson’s alleged stalker arrested for threatening to bomb Saturday Night Live
Who is Raj Angad Bawa, Rohit Sharma’s replacement in IPL 2025, he was bought by MI for…
'Instant Karma': Man pulls Nile crocodile's tail in viral video, regrets it later, see why
MS Dhoni is NOT going to retire, Stephen Fleming has definite answer after CSK vs DC match
Isha Ambani, Shloka Mehta show how to ace ethnic wear at awards ceremony, watch
Meet man, IIM alumnus who is set to lead Rs 147000 crore company that makes Fevicol, he is...
GBSHSE Goa Board Class 10 SSC Result 2025 date announced: Check time, steps to check
Abhishek Bachchan loses cool at paparazzi at Manoj Kumar's funeral, video goes viral - Watch
Ram Navmi 2025: Chef shows how to prepare Lord Ram's favourite drink, shares step-by-step guide
Tata Capital's BIG move, files papers at SEBI for mega Rs 150000000000 IPO; Check details here
What causes that sudden electric shock when you touch someone
MS Dhoni to retire from IPL? Netizens speculate as CSK legend's parents make rare Chepauk appearance
Baba Vanga gives chilling of tsunami in..., what was he doing earlier in life
Is Indian designer Sabyasachi taking over as creative director of Balenciaga? Here’s the truth
Woman, 27, dies by suicide, leaves behind suicide note: 'Chhodna mat usko'
Priyanka Chopra turns heads in cape-sleeved top, draped skirt worth Rs....; WATCH video
Meet woman who once worked at Goldman Sachs, now joins Azim Premji's Wipro in key role as...
Loveyapa OTT release: Here's where you can watch Junaid Khan, Khushi Kapoor-starrer romantic comedy
Not MI skipper Hardik Pandya, Tilak Varma's Retire Out decision against LSG was taken by THIS man
MBOSE SSLC Result 2025 DECLARED: Meghalaya Class 10th toppers list, pass percentage, scorecard
Salman Khan goes to Baahubali writer, meets V. Vijayendra Prasad for...? Here's what we know
Do you know who was real owner of Kohinoor diamond long before Mughals and British? Answer is...
Hardik Pandya creates unwanted record in LSG vs MI match, becomes first IPL captain in history to...
India caught in crosswinds of US aerospace tariffs
IPL trivia: When Preity Zinta, Sandeep Sharma roasted Glenn Maxwell in dressing room | Watch video
100 best food cities in the world 2024-25: 6 Indian cities feature on list; THIS one is in Top 10
MS Dhoni to return as CSK captain in IPL 2025? Reports claim...
Bank Holiday today: Are banks open or closed on April 5, 2025? Here's all you need to know
Taj Mahal earned over Rs 98 crore through ticket sales in FY24, Qutub Minar, Red Fort earned Rs...
Chaitra Navratri Ashtami 2025: Top 10 wishes, shubh muhurat, vidhi for kanya puja and more
Man in Karnataka serves 1.5 years in jail for 'murdering' wife, she turns up alive in court
OpenAI's ChatGPT can now create fake Aadhaar and PAN cards: Will cybercrimes increase due to it?
Mukesh Ambani takes BIG step as Reliance Jio’s free JioHotstar subscription is available until...
'We do not want TikTok to go dark': Donald Trump extends deadline by 75 days
Kareena Kapoor Khan reveals her fitness and beauty secrets: 'works on my own rather....'